Soundtrack – Thank God It´s Friday (1978) – 2Lp
Thank God It’s Friday is a 1978 American musical comedy film directed by Robert Klane and produced by Motown Productions and Casablanca FilmWorks for Columbia Pictures (whose torch-holding mascot, in a specially produced logo, dances to disco music before the opening credits).
Title: Thank God It´s Friday
Label: Casablanca Records
Catalog# TGIF 100-1
The film contains many popular disco songs, with many key performers featured, including Donna Summer, Pattie Brooks, Love & Kisses, The Commodores. A triple album containing many of the tracks heard in the film was a commercial success.
Several songs heard in the film were not included on the soundtrack album, including Alec R. Costandinos‘ “Romeo and Juliet“, Giorgio Moroder‘s “From Here to Eternity“, The Originals‘ “Down to Love Town”, D.C. LaRue‘s “You Can Always Tell a Lady (By the Company She Keeps)”, The Commodores‘ “Brick House“, The 5th Dimension‘s “You Are The Reason (I Feel Like Dancing)”, Meco‘s “Meco’s Theme” and the Village People tracks, “In Hollywood (Everybody Is A Star)” and “I Am What I Am.”
The biggest hit single on the album was Donna Summer’s “Last Dance“, which won an Academy Award as well as a Golden Globe for Best Original Song and also made it to #3 on the US singles chart. The song was written by Paul Jabara, who the following year would go on to compose Summer’s duet with Barbra Streisand, “No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)“. Jabara himself performed two of the songs on the Thank God It’s Friday soundtrack, and appeared in the film as well.
The soundtrack album was originally issued as a 3 record set in 1978, of which the 3rd disc was a single side 12 inch single of the 15:45 minutes Donna Summer, “Je t’aime… moi non plus” track.
Cameo‘s “Find My Way” was originally issued as a 7″ single in 1975. Giorgio Moroder and Donna Summer’s cover version of Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin‘s 1969 hit single “Je t’aime… moi non plus” was also recorded a few years earlier, but had its debut on the soundtrack and was subsequently issued as an edited 7″ single in a few countries in 1978. “Too Hot ta Trot” was from The Commodores‘ 1977 album Commodores Live! – on certain editions of the Thank God It’s Friday album replaced by a studio recording. Other titles on the soundtrack, including “Last Dance“, were especially recorded for the film.
Diana Ross‘ “Lovin’ Livin’ and Givin'” was remixed after the release of the soundtrack and used as the opening track on her 1978 album Ross. It was also released as a single in certain territories and has since been remixed and re-edited a number of times for inclusion on various hits packages issued by Motown/Universal Music.
1. Love And Kisses – Thank God It’s Friday (4:16)
2. Pattie Brooks – After Dark (7:55)
3. Donna Summer – With Your Love (4:00)
4. Donna Summer – Last Dance (7:10)
1. Paul Jabara – Disco Queen (3:46)
2. Cameo – Find My Way (4:57)
3. Commodores – Too Hot Ta Trot (3:309
4. Wright Bros. Flying Machine – Leatherman’s Theme (3:25)
5. Marathon – I Wanna Dance (6:00)
1. Sunshine – Take It To The Zoo (8:00)
2. Santa Esmeralda – Sevilla Nights (6:08)
3. Love And Kisses – You’re The Most Precious Thing In My Life (8:02)
1. D. C. La Rue – Do You Want The Real Thing (4:42)
2. Paul Jabara – Trapped In A Stairway (3:30)
3. Natural Juices – Floyd’s Theme (2:58)
4. Diana Ross – Livin’, Lovin’, Givin’ (3:30)
5. Thelma Houston – Love Masterpiece (4:03)
6. Donna Summer – Last Dance (Reprise) (3:17)
Special Bonus Maxi-Single
1. Donna Summer – Je T’Aime (Moi Non Plus) (15:51)