Various – The Secret Policeman´s Concert (1982) – Lp
Recorded at “The Secret Policeman’s Other Ball” – The 1981 Amnesty International Gala, at The Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London on 9th, 10th, 11th & 12th september 1981.
Title: The Secret Policeman´s Concert
Label: Island Records
The Secret Policeman’s Other Ball was the fourth of the benefit shows staged by the British Section of Amnesty International to raise funds for its research and campaign work in the human rights field. It was the second of many shows to bear the celebrated “Secret Policeman’s” title that became the iconic series known informally as The Secret Policeman’s Balls.
The show took place at the Drury Lane theatre in London on Wednesday 9 September 1981. It was a successor to the 1979 show The Secret Policeman’s Ball.
The show was directed by Monty Python alumnus John Cleese and produced by Martin Lewis & Peter Walker (Amnesty’s fundraising officer). It subsequently yielded two separate movies (one version for the UK, directed by Julien Temple, and a quite different version for the US) and two record albums (one each of comedy and music performances).
The show was very influential in galvanizing rock musicians to become involved in the human rights issue and in other political and social causes in subsequent decades. Musicians who performed at the show who subsequently became activists in various fields include Sting, Bob Geldof, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins and Midge Ure.
1. Sting – Roxanne (3:06)
2. Sting – Message In A Bottle (3:44)
3. Jeff Beck & Eric Clapton – ‘Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers (3:47)
4. Jeff Beck & Eric Clapton – Farther Up The Road (4:46)
5. Jeff Beck & Eric Clapton – Crossroads (4:15)
6. Bob Geldof & Johnny Fingers – I Don’t Like Mondays (4:54)
1. Phil Collins – In The Air Tonight (Acoustic Guitar: Daryl Stuermer) (5:10)
2. Phil Collins – The Roof Is Leaking (Banjo: Daryl (3:34)
3. Donovan – The Universal Soldier (3:00)
4. Donovan – Catch The Wind (Double Bass: Danny Thompson) (2:32)
5. The Secret Police – I Shall Be Released (9:20)